Giving up refined sugars (with no artificial sweeteners) from your diet can mean a change as you are trying to lose weight and improve overall health in general. Eliminating white sugar is the easiest, most effective way to lose a few pounds without breaking a sweat. For most people born with this imaginary “sweet tooth”, it is almost impossible to do without sugary delicacies. It doesn't help that refined sugar is extremely addicting, as every time you consume it, our brain signals the release of dopamine (a "feel good hormone") with effects similar to addictive substances. In fact, sugar is added to almost anything outside brought into your kitchen – from colas to packaged fruit juices, breads to tomato ketcups, flavored Greek yogurts to packaged grains, and the list goes on. Preparing your own meals at home is a great way to avoid unwanted empty calories that get into our bodies through refined sugars. Keeping the extremely unhealthy refined white sugar away is hard, but there are a few different ways you can satisfy your sweet tooth without the refined sugar so you can keep your health and weight in check.
Why Is Sugar Not Good For Weight Loss And Health?
Refined sugar has too many negative effects on the body and is not just limited to weight gain and obesity. Here are some of the effects sugar has on the body:
1. Sugar adds a lot of empty calories to the body without adding any food. A tablespoon of sugar has about 48 calories and you collect as many calories through several cups of tea, coffee, fruit juices, lassi, lemonade, cola, fries, sweets, desserts, cupcakes, pastries, cakes, during the day without even realizing that any extra calories are stored as fat, especially in the abdominal area. If you experience rapid weight gain, you know that "sugar" is the culprit.
2. Consuming too much sugar accelerates the aging process.
3. It is the main reason women develop polycystic ovarian disease.
4. Causes hormonal imbalances.
5. Sugar can cause gas and stomach gas.
6. Makes you feel tired and tired. Immediately after a sugary meal, the pancreas releases insulin to deliver glucose (after sugar has been broken down into glucose molecules) to cells. When insulin is released, there may be a burst of energy for a while, but once the sugar is used up the energy drops sharply and your body and brain will crave more sugar to reach this level. It's a vicious circle and you would be feeling hungry in a short amount of time.
7. Increases the risk of cancer, type 2 diabetes, stroke and cardiovascular disease.
15 Ways To Satisfy Your Sweet Tooth Without Refined Sugar:
1. Stevia leaves: Stevia is available in drops, tablets and powder form and is now widely used. However, the safest form of stevia is dry leaves. Don't fall for any artificial sweeteners that purportedly contain stevia; instead, get the leaves and powder them to use.
2. Sweet potato: If you crave sugar, sweet potato is a healthier option. However, remember that it is high in carbohydrates and consume it in moderation. You can boil or steam sweet potatoes, or add them to smoothies for a good dose of natural sugar.
3. Dried fruits like raisins: Raisins, which are also rich in minerals, can be used to create that sugar kick. They can be used in biscuits and in oatmeal recipes. However, use them sparingly as they also contain calories.
4. Dry Apricots: Like raisins, dry apricots have natural sugars, and you can chop or rehydrate and puree them to add to your recipes.
5. Dates: Dates are very nutritious and contain many vitamins and minerals. They contain a good amount of calories but are high in fiber and contain antioxidants that fight free radicals.
6. Cinnamon: This spice not only adds a bit of sweetness to your food, it also promotes weight loss. Remember to use it sparingly. Since it is a condiment, it would take your taste buds some time to get used to it.
7. Jaggery: Consuming jaggery helps you flush toxins out of the body, clearing the airways. Because it's high in potassium, iron, and other minerals, it's much better than refined sugar. When you are low on energy and are running out of sugar, try jaggery (Indian gud) or organic honey in your tea, coffee, juice, etc. to increase your energy levels.
8. Banana: If you haven't tried, ripe bananas can replace sugar in smoothies and in homemade cookies and cakes.
9. Coconut sugar / coconut: This sugar is obtained from coconuts and is nutritious compared to table sugar, the glycemic index is also low. Because coconut sugar is not refined, it retains most of its vitamins and minerals and does not cause sudden fluctuations in blood sugar. However, diabetics are advised to consult their doctor before starting coconut sugar treatment because it contains the same amount of calories as sugar. If you compare the two, sugar has empty calories and no nutritional value.
10. Honey: Honey is a natural sweetener that bees produce from flower nectar. Raw honey contains less fructose and is considered nature's healthiest form of sweetener. Honey is loaded with numerous nutrients and also has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties. In the human body, however, honey breaks down into glucose and fructose just like normal sugar, so that it spikes insulin. So remember, even with honey, moderation is key! Honey can make shakes, smoothies, juices, baked goods, sauces, and salad dressings taste amazing. Just pour your desired amount into the stuff you want to sweeten
11. Maple Syrup: There is a very famous cleansing diet made with Lemon Cayenne Pepper Maple Syrup which is also celebrated as a slimming drink. Maple syrup contains more than 50 antioxidants and can be used in place of refined sugar.
12. Vanilla powder or extract: we are not talking about synthetic vanilla essence, vanilla powder or extract is natural and has a good amount of sugar, can be used in baking or in cookies.
13. Carrots: Just bite into a raw carrot or caramelize it for the touch of sweetness on the tongue.
14. Beetroot: Beetroot releases natural sugar when caremalized and roasted, which can be found in salad.
15. Fried vegetables: When you roast vegetables like onions, carrots, and beetroot, the natural sugars in them are highlighted and your sugar cravings are satisfied.
This is why Rati Beauty diet programs completely eliminate refined sugars and use these natural forms of sugar to aid in weight loss.
Shopping list for those who want to lose weight
30 Daily Foods That Contain Sugar