Most of us live with the misconception that spending an hour in the gym every day is enough to lose weight and get to the target weight quickly, but it's just that – a misconception. If we spend the rest of the day eating unhealthy food and sticking it to the laptop without leaving the chair, the extra weight won't go anywhere. The question of what you should do additionally – well, healthy eating is of the utmost importance – if you follow the right diet that provides plenty of food, just like Rati Beauty diet programs make a big difference and then NEAT (thermogenesis without physical activity) is coming. Abbreviated as NEAT, it is the energy that we use for everything we do in our daily life, except when we are sleeping or exercising. Use the stairs instead of the elevator, squat on the floor to lift something, go while you are on the phone. Any activity we do on our feet falls under NEAT. All of these activities help burn a certain amount of calories, and these calories consumed here and there add up to a considerable amount when you try to lose weight. We all know that calorie deficit and a high resting metabolic rate should occur for weight loss, which means that we should consume more calories than the amount we consume each day. Since most of us live a sedentary lifestyle and our work requires us to sit in the sitting position for long hours, the values that lead to NEAT decrease significantly – this is why our body accumulates calories instead of burning calories and it gives fat accumulation in the body. Interestingly, researchers have shown that you can easily burn up to 2,000 calories if you spend most of your day on your feet!
What is the resting metabolic rate?
The basal metabolic rate (BMR) or metabolic rate at rest (RMR) is the rate at which you burn energy even when you are in complete sleep. The resting metabolic rate is the amount of calories your body needs to perform its basic functions. Our body would consume that amount of calories even if you don't exercise. If you indulge in physical activity, more calories will be burned.
What is calorie deficit?
A calorie deficit occurs when a person consumes fewer calories than those burned while exercising, resting, or performing basic body functions. In contrast, a calorie surplus occurs when a person consumes more calories than those burned, which leads to weight gain. To have a calorie deficit, the average person needs to reduce food intake by 500 calories a day. This number is usually sufficient for weight loss without affecting energy levels, hunger or bodily functions. In women, the number of calories should not drop below 1200 calories per day, and in men it should not drop below 1500 calories per day.
What is exercise activity thermogenesis?
If you work out in the gym, or go jogging or running in the park, do aerobics or yoga to burn calories, this falls under the “thermogenesis of exercise activity”. Such activities require an additional calorie burn.
How can you increase thermogenesis levels outside of training activity?
1. Cook your own food: Instead of ordering food from the outside, cook your own food. If you cook yourself, you are in control of the ingredients that get into the dishes and you generate a good amount of NEAT if you spend at least 20 minutes in the kitchen each time.
2. Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
3. Gardening is not just a relaxing hobby that helps you reduce stress. Activities such as removing weeds, shovels, and plants consume a certain amount of calories and record your NEAT values.
4. Morning Walk – Just like gardening, early morning walks can be therapeutic alongside calorie burning. An early morning walk helps calm your mind and relieve stress.
5. Get up every half hour from wherever you sit and take a walk through the hall.
6. When you are on the phone, answering a call, getting up and going through the duration of the call, you burn calories without having to exert yourself.
7. Wash your own dishes – if you wash the dishes yourself, you will burn calories.
8. Eating thermogenic foods would also help – coconut oil, garlic, turmeric, black pepper, and green chili peppers are thermogenic foods that increase warmth in the body.
9. Instead of shopping online, walk around the mall or shops to pick the things you like.
10. We don't joke, dance in the shower if you can and burn calories 😛
What is calorie deficit for weight loss
List of 32 calorie-free foods for weight loss
Strawberry is good for weight loss
What foods do you fill up but are low in calories