With so much information available about the coronavirus pandemic in each medium, it becomes very difficult to separate facts from fictions. Quacks and remedies, rumors, and false information can do much more harm than the virus itself. As has been proven in countries that have slowed the spread of disease, locking, quarantine, and isolation are some of the best ways to combat this outbreak a vaccine to treat this disease is not yet available. Many people with cold and flu symptoms are confused as to whether they have actually been infected with the disease despite all the precautions. In this post, we want to spread some cold and coronavirus symptoms. It is therefore advisable not to overcrowding hospitals with minor complaints and to reserve them only for emergencies. Minor illnesses such as flu and cold do not warrant hospitalization and there is a high possibility that you will be exposed to long lines of a possible virus infection while waiting in the hospital. We should also take into account the tremendous pressure that healthcare providers face today and not increase their burdens. If you experience a fever and dry cough, or if you have a travel history to one of the 19 affected countries within the past 14 days or have come into contact with someone who has a travel history, you must contact the authorities and health authorities immediately. Now let's go ahead and learn more about coronavirus symptoms and their distinction between flu and cold. We would like to reiterate that since a vaccine is not yet available, symptomatic treatment is provided to doctors and prevention through self-isolation and social distance is a sure way to keep this virus away. Under no circumstances should you treat yourself or take medication without a doctor's approval, as this would put you at a much greater risk than the coronavirus.
What is Covid-19 / Coronavirus?
Covid-19 or Coronavirus is currently a global pandemic that affects people in around 170 countries around the world. Coronavirus belongs to a group of viruses that infect the airways and cause symptoms such as dry cough, sore throat, fever, etc. Most coronaviruses only infect animals like bats, but there are now seven strains, including Covid-19, that are known to cause infections in humans. The novel corona virus 2019, now also known as covid-19, is a new strain in this category of viruses. It was first reported in a city in Wuhan, China in December 2019, which then quickly spread to different countries around the world. What started out as an animal-to-animal infection and later became an animal-to-human infection is now a highly contagious and rapidly spreading disease from person to person at exponential rates. According to the CDC (Center for Disease Control) and WHO (World Health Organization), a damp market in Wuhan selling seafood and animals was the epicenter of animal-to-human transmission of this virus. According to a Guardian report, there is a possibility that coronavirus can infect up to 60% of the world's population.
What makes coronavirus more troublesome than flu and cold?
Because of certain factors, we do not take drastic measures to curb the spread of flu or influenza to the same extent as coronavirus:
1. A vaccine to treat the coronavirus is not yet available. On the other hand, you can get a flu shot every year to prevent seasonal flu.
2. Coronavirus is a highly contagious infection and has seen exponential growth in infected people. Seasonal flu has a slower infection rate for people.
3. The corona virus threatens certain population groups, i. H. Older people and people with underlying diseases such as diabetes and heart disease, stronger.
4. The incubation period for Covid-19 is between 1 and 14 days. On the other hand, flu and cold symptoms would appear in less than 4 days. The incubation period means that people may actually be sick with the virus before symptoms appear.
5. The mortality rate for flu is 0.1% and for coronavirus 2%.
6. Treating flu and cold is easy compared to coronavirus.
7. The hospitalization rate for flu is only 2% compared to 14% for coronavirus.
How does corona virus spread?
1. By coughing and sneezing transferring droplets from the infected person.
2. Touch an object or surface with viruses and touch your hand, mouth and nose without washing your hands.
3. Personal contact and shaking hands with someone tested positive for coronavirus.
4. By not practicing personal hygiene when washing hands frequently.
What are the common symptoms of the corona virus?
In patients who have recovered, we have found that this infection has clear symptoms. Some patients are completely asymptomatic and show no signs of illness. In most cases, it is observed that the disease begins with a fever and dry cough, which can later develop into breathing difficulties together with muscle and body pain. Here are some more common symptoms of patients who have recovered:
- Sore throat
- Difficulty breathing.
- Pneumonia-like symptoms.
- Body ache.
- Dry cough
- Diarrhea in some cases.
- Headache in some cases.
- Shortness of breath.
What are the symptoms of seasonal flu?
The most common flu symptoms are wet or dry cough, high fever, sore throat, muscle aches, headaches, runny nose, fatigue, nasal congestion, vomiting and in some cases diarrhea. Flu symptoms often appear suddenly and people often recover within a week or two. According to studies, only about 1% of people in the United States develop symptoms that are so severe that they can be treated in hospital when it comes to seasonal flu.
How quickly can you see coronavirus symptoms?
The incubation period for this virus is 2 to 14 days. Symptoms can appear within two days in some people, and between 5 and 14 days in others. Some people may have no symptoms at all. However, if you experience difficulty breathing, high temperatures, and other symptoms mentioned above, isolate yourself immediately and contact the Covid hotline for further assistance.
Can I protect myself and my family from coronavirus?
Yes absolutely! Stay at home and practice social distancing. The elderly and people with pre-existing diseases, high blood pressure, weakened immune system and diabetes are at higher risk and need to be careful and watch out for symptoms. Practice basic hygiene practices like washing hands, covering your mouth when coughing and sneezing, and stay at home!
What to Do When You See the Corona Virus Symptoms:
- Isolate yourself immediately from your family. Switch to another room and keep at least 6 feet away from your family members.
- Immediately wear a mask to cover your nose and mouth so that there is no droplet transfer. Do not share any of your personal belongings with other family members. Avoid shared bathrooms in the house.
- Disinfect all surfaces such as door handles, taps, toilets, sinks, dining tables, etc. to kill the germs hanging around.
- The Indian government has set up a national toll-free hotline, number 1075, to treat corona-related cases. Those affected receive immediate help.
- Do not venture outside until the authorities reach you.
- If you've ventured outside, make a list of the people you've met or who you've come in contact with, and help the authorities create a route map to quarantine the people you may be unwittingly infected.
- Most importantly, you are not treating yourself. Only your doctor can prescribe medication for you, not medication forwarded via WhatsApp messages.
- Keep yourself hydrated, drink hot water often.
- Above all, don't panic if you need medical help, the Indian authorities have all the systems and medical facilities for treating coronaviruses. Many people who were previously diagnosed with coronavirus have now been discharged from the hospital and are now healthy.
Stay home, stay safe!