As a result, full blockage has been announced in India and the free movement of people must be restricted to curb the spread of the highly contagious corona virus or Covid-19. Life seems to have come to a standstill and in the next few days we will have to buckle up and do our part by exercising social distance, by not stepping out of our homes unnecessarily. But most of all we have to look at the positive side – we still have electricity and can use our fridge to store food for the next 21 days ahead. At the moment there are a lot of panic purchases that are not necessary at all. There will be no shortage of essential goods, but it will be a prudent decision to properly store food during the blockage so that no food is wasted. This post describes various ways to properly store food during the blackout period.
Amazing food tips to help overcome the coronavirus pandemic:
It seems that we attach great importance to disinfectants and buying panic rather than thinking about ways to properly store the food we have in hand. We want to list important tips to make sure there is no food shortage before we enter the blackout period.
1. Create a three-week water supply. After boiling and cooling, store the drinking water in bubble-top cans.
2. It is advisable to buy non-perishable foods (which can remain stable and safe for a long time without refrigeration), such as lentils, peanuts, nuts, dried fruits, pasta, rusks, cookies and waffles that have a long shelf life. Here is a complete list of the foods you keep by blocking.
3. For example, choose foods with a long shelf life – jams, sauces and snacks such as waffles, chikki, potato chips, etc.
4. Don't forget to choose your prescription medication for a month.
5. Place Dal and other lenses in steel containers with lids to keep moisture away from them.
6. Store rice and wheat flour / attack in a steel container with a lid. Rice and wheat flour last long in such containers.
7. Use plastic bag clips or rubber bands to seal plastic bags and keep them fresh for a long time.
8. It is better to pick canned fruits than fresh ones.
9. Don't forget to stock up on pre-made soup packs.
10. Use your freezer to store non-vegetarian foods like chicken and fish.
11. You can also cut vegetables such as carrots, corn, peas, pumpkin, etc. into small cubes or cubes and keep them in zip lock bags in the freezer. This way they last a month or two.
12. Store potatoes and onions in a cool, dry place, not in the refrigerator.
To properly store food during the lockout:
How do I store eggs?
We tend to keep eggs in the slot on the fridge door. However, if you keep them in the middle of the fridge, where the temperature is much cooler, eggs can last up to 5 weeks. When properly stored, eggs can be kept in the refrigerator for about 3 to 5 weeks and in the freezer for about a year.
How do I store fruit?
Buy fruits that would last for weeks without putting them in the freezer. For example, apples can stay in the fridge for 3 to 4 weeks. Oranges can last between 2 and 3 weeks. Pomegranate can last up to 1 to 2 months, and watermelon can stay fresh for up to 2 weeks. Much of the fruit can be cut into slices and cubes and stored in zip-lock bags for storage in the freezer area. For example, sliced mangoes are cut into slices and cubes, packed in plastic bags and kept in the freezer for up to 6 months. You can also cut and store fruits such as mangoes, pineapples, cherries, etc. You can also put a damp towel on the apples to keep them moist. If you want to keep the whole pineapple as it is, cut off the top of the leaf and store it upside down in the refrigerator.
How do you store vegetables in the fridge for a long time?
Store vegetables that, if properly stored, will last for months – for example potatoes, onions, yam. Wash the vegetables thoroughly and dry them completely before placing them in the vegetable section of your refrigerator. Use absorbent paper or tissue paper between layers to keep them fresh for a long time. In this way, you can store the vegetables for a total of weeks. You can also cut the vegetables into cubes and slices and keep them in glass containers with lids. This way the vegetables would last up to two weeks. When storing vegetables in zip lock bags, poke holes in the plastic bag or store them in mesh bags and put them in your refrigerator.
1. How to store tomatoes: To store the tomatoes in the fridge or freezer, put them in a zip lock bag and squeeze out the air. Place them in the vegetable box for up to a month. If you seal them in a container with compressed air, they can be kept in the freezer for up to 18 months or stored in the refrigerator. You can also keep tomatoes in olive oil – wash and dry the tomatoes. Remove the stem, cut it in half and place it in a ceramic or glass baking pan. Now sprinkle the tomatoes with salt. Cover the tomatoes with olive oil to 2/3 depth of the tomatoes. Cook the tomatoes slowly at 175 degrees for 3 to 5 hours. The exact time depends on the size of the tomatoes used. Once the tomatoes have cooled, pour them into mason jars or other non-metallic containers that are airtight and store those jars in the refrigerator. They last up to a year. Another great way to preserve tomatoes is to dry them in the sun. You can use sun-dried tomatoes in curries, salads, sandwiches and also as a pizza topping. Sun-dried tomatoes lose 90% of their water content after being dried in the sun or in the microwave. To make it natural, wash the tomatoes and pat dry with a cloth. Remove the stem and cut it in half. Place these tomatoes side by side on a muslin cloth in an open area where you are exposed to sufficient sunlight. Your sun-dried tomatoes are ready to use within a few days.
2nd How to store green chili peppers: To make green chili peppers more durable, store them in zip lock bags. Simply remove the stem part and put the green chillies in a zip lock bag. Place the bag in a refrigerator and use the green chili peppers whenever needed. This way, chillies can last up to two weeks.
3rd How to store green leafy vegetables such as lettuce, spinach: Rinse the green leafy greens, wrap them in a paper towel or tissue paper, and cool them after sealing them in a container or a sealed plastic bag.
4th How to store fresh herbs: Fresh herbs such as mint, curry leaves can be stored in bags in which all the air is sucked out and sealed.
5. How to keep lemons: Citrus fruits such as oranges and lemons can be kept in a cool and dark place for a week without being exposed to direct sunlight. However, they can be kept in a mesh bag in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
6. How to store potatoes for a long time: Potatoes require a lot of air circulation and must be kept away from the light in a dark place because they tend to germinate when exposed to light. Store the potatoes in a box, paper bag, mesh bag or basket to ensure good ventilation. Plastic bags do not let them breathe and shorten their shelf life considerably. Therefore, take them out of a plastic bag if you bought them in such bags.
7. How to store onions for a long time: Store them in a dark but well-ventilated place, separate from other vegetables. Spread the onions in a layer, not stacked on top of each other. Choose a cool, dry, dark, and well-ventilated area to keep them running for up to a month. You know, peeled onions can be kept in the refrigerator for 10 to 14 days, while sliced or sliced onions can be refrigerated for 7 to 10 days.
How long do I store non-vegetarian products, especially chicken?
Do you know that raw chicken pieces can be kept in the fridge freezer for up to 9 months? Cooked chicken would only last up to three days. To reduce the risk of burns in the freezer, wrap the chicken pieces separately in aluminum foil and place them in the freezer. You can do the same with fish after you've cleaned them thoroughly. Another great way to store non-vegetarian products is to marinate them in marinated masala for 30 minutes to an hour, then pack them in plastic bags and put them in the freezer for up to 3 months.
How to store ginger and garlic:
Make a paste from ginger and garlic pods and either store them together or separately for later use in mason jars.
How to store milk:
It is better to buy powdered milk than to think about ways to store fresh milk. If milk powder is not available, you can also make milk from oats. It is made by mixing oatmeal and water together and sieving the liquid to obtain the milk. To prepare oat milk, put 1 cup of oatmeal in 4 cups of water in a blender and let it spin for 45 seconds. Now strain the liquid through a cloth and voila, your oat milk is ready.
How to store lentils / dal?
Transfer Dal like Masoor, Arhar, Moong etc. into vacuum tight containers. Flax seeds and chia seeds can spoil quickly. So do not cut the packets randomly. Transfer to airtight containers after opening.
Basic elements for self-isolation during corona virus locking
How to disinfect and clean your home for corona virus