We all only think of damaged hair follicles when we see symptoms such as excessive hair loss and brittle hair. Damaged hair follicles can occur for many reasons, inadequate nutrition, lack of nutrients, poor hair care, strong sun exposure, constant use of chemicals in the hair, excessive use of heat styling tools and certain diseases. Whatever your reason, damaged hair follicles could be a terrible suffering for you and you may be ready to make every effort to heal and revive them! While expensive salon treatments, medications, and potions continue to propagate and promise to work wonders for your damaged hair follicles, home remedies work just as well to repair hair follicles and what's best – they are economical and can save you a lot of money. In this article we would like to share relevant ideas and tips for the treatment of damage to hair follicles. Also some amazing home remedies to treat such follicles.
Hair growth cycle:
Every single hair grows about half an inch a month, regardless of how you care for your hair. Each hair has a growth period of 2-6 years (depending on various factors such as age, hormonal changes, etc.) after which it tends to fall. After the hair has fallen out of its follicle, a new hair would grow out of the same follicle. The hair growth cycle takes place in four phases:
1. Anagen: It is the growth phase. The hair follicle is nourished by blood vessels and this leads to active hair growth in the follicle. Anagen lasts 2-6 years depending on age, hormonal changes, diet, etc.
2. Katagen: In the transition phase, the hair follicle begins to shrink and the hair separates from the blood supply source, which is also referred to as the "dermal papilla". This phase lasts 1 to 2 weeks or 10 days.
3. Telogen: It is also known as the resting phase. Old hair is at rest and stops growing. While new hair from the same follicle is entering the growth phase. The telogen stage lasts 5 to 6 weeks or four months.
4. Exogenous: The old hair begins to shed and the new hair continues to grow.
What is the function of a hair follicle?
A hair follicle sticks every hair into the skin. The hair bulb forms the base of the hair follicle and the hair bulb contains living cells that divide and grow out to build the hair shaft. There are blood vessels that nourish the cells in the hair bulb and provide hormones that change hair growth and structure at different times in the cycle (Anagen, Katagen, Telogen, Exogen). If a hair follicle is damaged, this can change the texture and color of the hair and also stop hair growing out. That is a big problem!
Reasons for damaged hair follicles:
- Folliculitis – inflammation of the hair follicle.
- Virus, bacterial or fungal infections.
- Hormonal problems.
- Excessive heat.
How to revive damaged hair follicles – tips and remedies
- Treat your hair roots with oils: oils provide the hair follicles with nutrients, keep them moist and make them healthy. Coconut oil, olive oil, almond oil and castor oil are well-known names when it comes to hair care. Just be wise enough to use them to your advantage. Take one variety or mix some varieties; Then gently massage your scalp with the oil and leave it on for at least two hours. After this massage you can do turban therapy. This works best with a dry and malnourished scalp.
- Opt for essential oils: lavender, tea tree and rosemary essential oils are great for restoring damaged hair follicles. Use diluted essential oils directly on the scalp or add a few drops to your favorite nourishing hair pack.
- Hair masks with kitchen ingredients: Kitchen ingredients cover everything you have on the shelves, vegetable baskets and fruit baskets so you can prepare some delicious dishes. However, you could also cook some wonderful hair masks to restore your hair follicles.
- Consult a doctor and get supplements that are rich in biotin, iron, selenium, etc. if you lack such nutrients.
- Rinse hair with cold water only, do not use hot water at all.
- Use a static and gentle brush to comb the hair.
- Use a soft microfiber towel or microfiber wrap to dry your hair.
- Minimize the use of thermal styling tools such as blow dryers, flat irons, curling irons, etc.
Hair masks for the treatment of damaged hair:
Here are some of the masks you want to try:
- Avocado Banana Mask – Mix the pulp of banana and avocado and rub the mixture on your scalp. Leave on for half an hour. Rinse off. The mask is ideal for restoring moisture in dry hair follicles.
- Whipped Egg Honey for Hair – Beat an egg with a spoonful of lukewarm water and honey. Massage it into your hair and scalp. Wait 30 minutes. Wash off with a shampoo. This can be done on dry and wet hair.
- Mayonnaise Treatment – Apply mayonnaise liberally to the scalp and hair. Massage it into your scalp and then leave it on for 30 minutes before rinsing it off with lukewarm water.
- Onion Treatment for Hair – The onion juice helps restore hair follicles and is known to promote thick hair growth. Apply onion juice to the scalp for wonderful results.
- Eat healthy: A healthy diet is very important. The diet helps to restore your health from within so that any beauty problem can be fully treated. Eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. Add nuts and dates along with fruit juices. Drink plenty of water. Eat a balanced diet so that your body receives its share of all essential nutrients. Remember that your hair follicles are also part of your body and also need food from the inside.
- Taking supplements: You can talk to your doctor and then regularly take niacin and biotin supplements, which are considered good for treating damaged hair follicles. Here is also a list of hair supplements that would strengthen hair.
Home remedies test your patience, but then they can be an inexpensive and side effect free treatment for your hair. In addition to proper nutrition and use of hair masks, make sure that you regularly clean your hair with a high-quality, mild and revitalizing shampoo. Also keep away from chemicals, air dry your hair every day after showering, and take good care of your hair to restore your damaged hair follicles.
How to repair damaged hair
Sunsilk Co-Creations damaged hair reconstruction shampoo
L’Occitane Repairing Conditioner Dry and damaged hair
Homemade masks for sun damaged hair